Wednesday 4 December 2013

23 Days of Christmas: Pastelles

(source)

Now on the food! Pastelles...
Growing up, even just a few years ago, I had a very unsophisticated palate. Now don't get me wrong, I am not claiming to be incredibly cultured or a know-it-all... I don't think I know much at all. There are so many things I am yet to experience. I would like to travel and experience food, and really refine my taste. However, recently, I am much more open-minded about different foods and tastes. I am willing to try, and appreciate, much more than I did before. Sometimes I am still quite skeptical about trying certain new things but I have been learning a lot, and I am excited to learn so much more.
The point of that seemingly pointless story is that I was afraid to try a lot of things in the past. Pastelles might have been one of those things. Once I did try it though, it became one of those great foodie things that I look forward to for the holidays.
A pastelle is a type of cornmeal dumpling stuffed with meat, typically beef, chicken or pork (sometimes made vegetarian with soya), as well as olives, capers and some spices. It is then wrapped in banana leaves and steamed. The description I just gave of it's preparation definitely does not do justice to its taste, though. It's one of those things you just need to try for yourself! I'm yet to prepare a batch of my own but, I don't think I need to. It's so popular around this time of year, every where you go, you'll be offered one or two. It's also sold ready-made in the grocery and at food stalls, so if you're not a big fan of cooking or just don't have time, you can still enjoy a pastelle!

(source)
The electricity situation in my area is incredibly annoying hence why I missed a day by a few minutes. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment