Sunday 31 March 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!

I celebrated my 22nd birthday on March 23rd, 2013. I'm not that much into birthdays, not like I used to be. I feel like birthdays are hyped so much, it's too often a let down. That's probably part of the reason why I don't make a big deal of the day, or mention it to anyone. I'm not saying it's a bad day, nor do I have the birthday blues. It's just a day.
My family and I had a couple different plans, one of which included visiting Golden Bell (Korean) Restaurant for the first time. I've seen a couple of enticing pictures online which encouraged me to make the trip. However, when we got there, it was not at all what we expected. It was basically a fast food restaurant, but smaller than the norm. Even more unfortunate was the fact that what we planned on ordering was only being served at night. We did not bother dining there and since we did not make reservations anywhere else, we decided to go to Chaud Cafe and Wine Bar. We figured we'd without a doubt enjoy our meal there, so why not?
I didn't. Everyone else was content, but I was not satisfied. Content being the key word because it was not incredible, mediocre... at least this time. Of course the fries never fail to impress, it is the best. My sister started with the Cioppino which I tasted and it was good. It was definitely a starter, since the portion was pretty small. I forgot to take a picture, though.

We ordered a steak salad. It is a fantastic salad, and I probably should have gone that route if I wanted a salad. The steak was still tender despite it being well done (his preference), but he still thought it to be good... not great. The big pieces of Gorgonzola became overpowering, and if I did not warn him initially, it would have ruined the salad much earlier. 


Then we ordered a steak sandwich, which was also good, but still not great.


My sister had the burger which she enjoyed very much, fortunately. We also ordered a pasta with shrimp, but I also did not get a picture of that.


I ordered the lamb salad. The portion was quite small, especially compared to the steak salad, and it was dry and bland. The bacon bits did not help it much, and usually I love lentils, but I did not enjoy this.


For dessert, I had the apple crumble which is supposed to be served with a brown butter pecan ice cream which they did not have, and had to serve it with vanilla instead. I did not mind the vanilla much because I love the combination of apple pie/crumble with vanilla ice cream. However, I did not enjoy the apple crumble. The apples were cold and had a weird texture (a little bland as well) and the crumble had too many oats that were still dry and raw. I ended up leaving back more than half of the dessert, finishing the ice cream and only quarter of the apple crumble. It may be enjoyable to some, but I was disappointed.


We also ordered the banana beignets which everyone tried and enjoyed, except me. I was not in the mood for bananas, so I skipped it. They also respected our request to have to served alcohol free, so that was a plus.


The chocolate mousse was fluffy and not overbearingly chocolatey, so it was pretty good.


The flourless chocolate cake with intensely chocolatey. The chocolate lover would definitely enjoy it, it was alright for me. However, the sour cream sherbet was delicious and served well in toning down the intense chocolate taste.


All in all, everyone was content with their meal (except me), but it seemed to have been either a bad day for them, or us. My birthday was not filled with exceptional food like I had hoped, but it's okay because I'll be making up for that very soon.
The next day, my sister did make me meatball sliders (with homemade bread), served with mozzarella and marinara which was quite good. That was definitely and enjoyable meal. She also baked me a white cake with cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberries, so, I can't complain too much. My birthday wasn't all that disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment