Saturday 25 May 2013

Cubanelle Pepper Pesto



I recently took a trip to the grocery store with the intent to buy some things that I just cannot remember at this moment. However, I did come across these lovely peppers that I have never tried before. It just screamed pesto, to me.


They were cubanelle peppers which is a variety of sweet (mild) peppers, similar in taste and texture to bell peppers. However, its walls are slightly thinner than the bell peppers which makes for faster cooking. I roasted these peppers in the toaster over for a short time, then made the pesto, and tossed it with some pasta. Pasta is definitely one of my favourite ways to eat pesto.
I also used some basil in this pesto, but not enough to overpower the peppers. Using little is important since basil has a very strong flavour while these peppers are quite mild.


Sweet Pepper (Cubanelle/Bell) Pesto

Ingredients:

  • Two large Peppers (about 250g in total)
  • 1 C. loosely packed Basil
  • 2 medium-large cloves Garlic
  • 1/8 C. favourite Nut, toasted (optional)
  • 1 oz. Parmesan Cheese
  • Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
  • Olive Oil
Method:
  1. Roast the pepper on medium heat in the oven until soft and slightly charred.
  2. Remove stems and seeds of the peppers and slice into a couple of pieces.
  3. In a food processor or blender (I used the Magic Bullet), pulse garlic with a few drops of oil until it is a fine paste.
  4. Add peppers, basil, nuts, a little salt and pepper, and parmesan. Drizzle olive oil as you blend mixture into a smooth paste/sauce. 
  5. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I used this pesto in a light but tasty pasta dish. I sauteed some polish sausage slices in a little butter, added some farfalle and the pesto, and topped it off with some tiny feta cubes. If serving the pesto with feta, remember it's a salty cheese, so use salt sparingly in the pesto.


It was quite good. Light and clean tasting, but still filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment