Sunday 10 May 2015

Growing in New Orleans


New Orleans... what a blast! I had so many good times in the four short days I visited. I stayed in my first hostel and it was a positive, enlightening experience. I definitely made a good choice by staying at the Auberge NOLA hostel. It felt like I was visiting friends. There were always someone around ready to go out and have fun but also there was a lot of room if you wanted to be in solitude as well. As soon as I settled down into my bunk, I found friends. I spent a few nights out in the town until late night/early morning, something I definitely don't do in Trinidad. And guess what? I had the time of my life. There's something about being in a new place with new people that makes you feel free, comfortable and completely You. It's part of the reason I love traveling... I have always been shy, always fearful of being judged and as a result, restricting myself from doing a lot of things. My few travels thus far have helped me be a bit more confident and I am eager and excited to continue my journey.

Bourbon Street



NOLA streetcar!





Crawfish Boil!

Little street parade.


Gumbo

Sampler: jambalaya, red beans & rice,
fried chicken and shrimp creole.





Half and half: crawfish etouffee and fried crawfish.
Loved this dish!


Oysters, of course!

Fabulous bookshop!

Went a little crazy in the bookshop.

Fabulous shrimp and grits.


The last few pictures below is of an event that takes place called "Happy Thursdays", obviously on Thursdays. Hundreds of strangers hop on their bikes, dressed with as much colourful lights as you mind can imagine and ride through the city with music and drinks and just a whole lot of fun. I had forgotten how exhilarating riding a bike was... but doing it with hundreds of strangers on a beautiful night in New Orleans, now that is an experience! If you are in New Orleans, please make the time to do this. I guarantee you will not regret it!





In New Orleans, there is always something happening 24/7. I arrived on a Monday and there was so much to do, it's incredible. Live music, food, art... anything you want, they've got! I definitely enjoyed my time there and would love to return some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment