Sunday 12 January 2014

Spaghetti Carbonara (and a late Christmas gift!)


Two days ago, another late Christmas present arrived and I am excited! I've always found French cuisine to be quite intriguing. My sister knew this and bought me this wonderful book!


This book should work wonderfully with a few of my resolutions; I am eager (and nervous) to read it and try some recipes. It will give me an opportunity to expand my culinary horizons. Everyone loves French cuisine!

On another note, I have hardly been cooking for the year thus far, I've been quite busy with work and other things but that's just another opportunity to challenge yourself. What's fast and delicious, easy and cheap? One of my absolute favourite pasta dishes of course... Spaghetti Carbonara!
Traditional spaghetti carbonara is super easy, and incredibly flavourful, even with just three ingredients besides salt and black pepper, and the optional parmesan. Pasta, bacon and eggs! Sounds like a good breakfast too when you list it like that. Mmm, I'm thinking about it now, I can do with a little carbonara.


Spaghetti Carbonara (serves 4)
  • 400g Spaghetti
  • 200g Bacon (cooked and crisp)
  • 4 Medium/Large Eggs (or 6-8 egg yolks)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Parmesan
  1. Salt water well and boil until al dente.
  2. Crack and beat eggs in a large bowl, add black pepper.
  3. Using tongs, add spaghetti directly from boiling water to eggs a little at a time and toss, coating the pasta with eggs well.  We add a little pasta at a time to ensure that we don't scramble eggs.
  4. Mix in bacon and grated parmesan if desired and toss to distribute evenly(ish).
  5. Serve hot! Carbonara is not the same when cooled/cold.
If you're in a hurry or on a budget but still want a flavourful, restaurant-quality meal, try some carbonara. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment