Wednesday 4 September 2013

Chocolate Chip Scones


Today is Wednesday which could only mean one thing: Tea! Now while I love tea in itself, Afternoon Tea has become a favourite recreational activity of mine. Jaffa plays a great role in that enterprise. The clotted cream is most definitely what I keep going back for, and it is, in fact, the main attraction for High Tea at Jaffa. On this visit, I completely disregarded the numerous other desserts, and instead enjoyed a second scone with a bit of the clotted cream. That however, did remind me of the scones I make that I'd like to share. It's a Westernized scone however, not the traditional British scones which we would more consider a biscuit. Though I love an authentic scone (with jelly and/or clotted cream), I still enjoy a non-traditional scone once in a while. It's easy to make, takes no time and tastes pretty good. For those reasons, these scones may be a favourable snack option, or even an accompaniment for tea or coffee. With other mix-ins such as blueberry, coconut and oatmeal instead of the chocolate chips, it may also be a breakfast option.

Crumbly on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

Chocolate Chip Scones
  • 2 C. Flour
  • 1/4 C. Brown Sugar (You can use white sugar as well, but brown has a nice flavour.)
  • 1 Tsp.Baking Powder
  • 1/2 C. Butter
  • 1/2 C. Chocolate Chips
  • 1/2 C. Cold Buttermilk/Cream
  • 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Brown Sugar (for sprinkling)
  1. Heat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. Add the cold butter and cut in with a fork or pastry blender until the crumbs are pea-sized. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
  4. Add in the cold buttermilk/cream and vanilla and mix until the liquid is absorbed.
  5. Turn out onto a flat surface and knead the dough just until it comes together. It is important to not over-knead to maintain a favourable texture.
  6. Press into an 8" disk, then cut into 8 wedges.  Places the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush with an egg wash (or even just milk).  Top each scone with as much sugar as you like.
  7. Bake the scones for 15 – 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.  Cool 10 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack and let cool almost completely.
  8. These are best enjoyed still warm with a big mug of tea.
I'd go on but before I fall asleep on myself, I'll retreat. After tea at Jaffa (or any meal, actually), I could use a nap. I definitely do enjoy Afternoon Tea though. Great food and great company makes for a brilliant evening.
Also recently read an entertaining article about American v.s. British Scones, so I thought I'd share.

1 comment:

  1. I think I ate more than my fair share of these scones! Simply because I love them so much! They have great texture and I love the size of those chocolate chips ! Very comforting food!

    ReplyDelete