Friday 19 June 2015

Dim Sum at Sing Ho


Trinidad is known for having a lot of public holidays. Trinis love any excuse to celebrate, and I am no different. Today is Labour Day in Trinidad.
Labour Day in Trinidad and Tobago is held annually on June 19th, the anniversary of the day of protest in 1937.  This effectively led to the recognition of the modern trade union movement.
Although some Trinbagonians actively take part in small local celebrations, many simply take the day as an extra day for recreational and leisure activities. (source)
I celebrated my day off by having a delightful Dim Sum at Sing Ho Restaurant in Long Circular Mall, Maraval/St.James, Trinidad. Dim Sum is a Cantonese tradition of drinking tea and eating a variety of "hors d'oeuvres". When I visited Canada, I enjoyed Dim Sum numerous times with my cousins. However, it's more difficult to find Dim Sum, especially good ones, in Trinidad. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I dined at Sing Ho with my siblings this morning, feasting on dumplings, buns, tarts and more. Since they do not have a large crowd, they have no carts throughout the restaurant, as is the norm. They instead let you order and bring the dishes to your table. This was convenient in a different way since we could see all the available items and choose what we wanted all at once. After enjoying our meal, we decided to make it a tradition of our own and try to go at least once a month. We will definitely be trying some more Dim Sum locations around Trinidad as well. You'll be the first to hear about it! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment