Saturday 22 June 2013

Summer To-Do List

There's no point in apologizing to my blog or readers (or lack, thereof) about not blogging in a while because we all know that things happen, and sometimes there are things that are just a little more important. To be quite honest, blogging is not a priority for me, it's something I simply do whenever I feel like it, because I enjoy it. It may potentially be more of a priority in the future, just not now.
So, "Summer" is upon is. "Summer" because the season does not exist in Trinidad, but the time period itself is established as Summer. I, as most other people, make so many plans for Summer and then get caught up (sometimes being lazy) and  hardly do any of it. My plans usually include learning new things, going new places, reading new books, all of which I still would like to do when I can, but this time, it also include lots of new recipes. There are quite a few things that I haven't made, or haven't made satisfactorily, that I would like to practice this Summer.

Included in my list of new things to try are:

Macarons, in as much flavours as I can manage to make at once, and how about those cute burger macarons?!

(source)


(source)

Coq au Vin (I'm quite interested in French Cuisine.)

(source)

Profiteroles!
(source)


Homemade Ice Cream (with fabulous mix-ins)

(source)

Just as a little reminder to myself of some things to make, the plan also includes:

  • Croissants
  • Pepperpot
  • Japanese Cheesecake
  • (Good) Hummus
  • Cioppino
  • Fudge (lots of flavours)
  • Duck a l'Orange
  • Jambalaya
  • Soft Pretzels
  • Homemade Mozzarella (and some other cheeses, including paneer)
  • Marinara (must perfect it) 

Of course, it's not limited to those things listed here. There are many other things I'd like to try including lots of traditional international dishes. I'll be getting started a.s.a.p. and hopefully sharing all the lovely things, here (and with friends), along the way!
The source link under the photos will lead to the recipes for the lovely dishes displayed in this post; be sure to check them all out!

I also have this plan that I'm working on, hopefully, I'll get my family to participate and help me, and maybe some other relatives. I can't eat everything I make, if I make everything I'd actually like to. However, I do need the experience (the joy of cooking is a plus) and practice with new and even old dishes. So, the plan was to offer my services - if someone buys some ingredients, I'll cook them whatever dish they request. That way, I get the experience, and people get food since sometimes people don't like cooking, aren't very good at it, or simply don't have the time. Sounds like a good plan to me, but we'll see how it plays off. I'll also buy some new ingredients I have not worked with yet, and experiment with it.
Regardless, I'll be doing what I love and practicing until I start my culinary courses in September (which I'll continue to work hard for).

1 comment: